Whether you are a residential property owner, a construction site manager, a restaurateur, the owner of an agricultural company or the manager of a large commercial building, you are likely reading this blog because of one thing - the desire to cut down on your carbon footprint and become more environmentally friendly.
To achieve this goal, many businesses and residential homeowners turn to propane for its wealth of environmentally-friendly benefits. Before we take a look at what makes propane the perfect low-emission solution, let’s first take a look at what propane actually is.
What is propane?
Propane is an alternative fuel source that is produced as a byproduct from either natural gas production or crude oil refining. It is becoming increasingly popular for companies and homes in Ontario, Canada, due to its environmental, economic and energy benefits.
Abundantly available in Ontario, propane is a safe, non-toxic, clean-burning fuel that is a great source of energy. It can be used for a variety of applications such as in your home, vehicle fuel, construction, agriculture, to power your business and much more.
With a lower carbon content than oil, gasoline, diesel, kerosene and ethanol, propane contains significantly less greenhouse gas emissions per productivity unit compared to other fuels.
The fact that it has a tiny carbon footprint and is highly efficient makes it extremely environmentally friendly and the perfect low-emission solution if you are looking to cut down your carbon footprint.
Why is propane the perfect low-emission solution?
Propane is an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-approved clean alternative fuel that offers lower greenhouse gas emissions than the majority of other energy options, without compromising performance in a wide range of applications.
To give you an idea of just how much you can limit your impact on the environment by switching to propane, Budget Propane Ontario has listed some of its beneficial environmental properties here:
- In the rare event that propane leaks from a tank then it becomes a vapour that does not contaminate the soil, air or aquifers - unlike liquid fuels. It will not spill, pool or leave a residue.
- Propane dissipates quickly into the atmosphere, without releasing carbon dioxide or acting as a greenhouse gas.
- Studies have found that propane can emit up to 26 percent fewer GHGs than gasoline in vehicles, 38 percent fewer GHGs than fuel oil in furnaces and half the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of a charcoal barbecue.
- Propane produces less than half the greenhouse gas emissions that electricity does while its exhaust creates 60 percent to 70 percent fewer smog-producing hydrocarbons than gasoline.
- Propane heaters produce less greenhouse gas emissions compared to electric water heaters.
- Propane has a lower carbon content than fuel oil, gasoline, diesel, kerosene and ethanol.
- When properly mixed, propane emits virtually no soot, and low carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and oxides of nitrogen.
Are you looking for more information about the environmental benefits of propane or simply want to find a propane supplier in Ontario, Canada? Contact the Budget Propane Ontario team of experts today to learn more.